From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:53 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: relative merits of Doxy and Clavamox?

I always ask a vet WHY they choose a particular medication for one of my

furkids and I get better responses from some than others.  I also look
up
medication in the Merck manual or an online source to find out what is
in it (if I
don't already know) and what it is recommended for.

One vet I use for routine things (because his fees are more reasonable
than
most others in this area) is not a high tech vet but has good instincts
based
on experience and his approach to the use of abx is to start with the
one most
specific to a particular condition, if possible, and if that doesn't
work then
go for one that is more broad-specturm and one of the "bigger" guns in
the
abx arsenal such as Baytril.  His opinion is that if you always start
with the
biggest gun, if resistance becomes an issue you have no better options.
If
Amoxicillan (relative of penicillan) or Clavamox (combo of       )
don't work,
then try something like Baytril or Zeniquin (a newer relative of
Baytril).
Sometimes if a condition seems serious and what is going on is not
clear, he'll
start with a bigger gun.  Last year I had a kitty who was presenting
with a
high fever and no other symptoms...his first choice was Baytril and when
that
didn't bring down the fever, he prescribed something called Delta
Albaplex, which
I'd never heard of before.  The fever was gone in 2 days after that.  I
looked it up and DA is a combo of an abx (can't remember which one
offhand) and a
steroid.

I've never had to use Doxycycline yet, so haven't looked it up, but it
seems
to be more specific in what it targets than Clavamox.  For one thing,
Doxy is
prescribed for the blood parasite hemobartonella and seems to be more
powerful
in its action than Clavamox or Amoxicillan.  But it can have a caustic
effect
on mucous membranes and administering it is more problematic.  I guess
the
idea is to kill whatever bacteria may be the culprit without
OVERkilling.  If
there is a choice that can be made, I will opt for the one with the
least gnarly
taste and fewest possible side-effects.

Sally in San Jose