I just had to add my 2 cents in on this interesting topic. If I'm only going to be gone one day, I fill the gravity feeder so they will have plenty, and put about 5 big mixing bowls of water throughout the house, plus leave the faucet running a bit in the bathroom sink, so they will have enough water. Any longer than two days, and I would have to have them boarded at the vet's office I think. (but I only have 4 cats, not a houseful!)

I don't think I could ever trust anyone to be careful enough about not letting them sneak out the door when they came in to allow a pet-sitter. I used to be so bad (paranoid) that I would leave work on my lunch break to come home to check the cats every day, even though that meant I did not have any time to eat, but now I can work a full day and only worry occasionally. I've finally begun to trust my long-term mate enough that I don't usher him in and out and scream "HURRY UP, SHUT THE DOOR!!!" at him every time he comes in or out, and we've been together for over 5 years now. I have not gone on an overnight trip or longer vacation in years, because I worry too much about the cats, but I have a week vacation planned for late this summer/ early fall, so I'm going to board them at the vet's. That's a BIG step for me!

Jenn