Lisa,
You are so strong and couragous, your BF might just not understand, but at least he cares for Akira, and is wanting to know about her well being, can you not just sit outside with her on your lap, that might be nice for her, she is a strong little kitty, I know it is hard to watch them go, keep up your own strength you are going to need it, take care Lisa, we are all here for you..
Cherie