it costs over $100 to cremate an animal here on Long Island. I don't know of any vet that will just take a dead animal for no money.  I can imagine the same $ charge in NJ.  I also cannot even imagine how adrift many of the kittykind volunteers and foster homes feel right now. Hopefully someone in the group is well informed/experienced enough to regroup and get the currently fostered animals permanent homes.
(does it sound funny to say that while I volunteer for a rescue group I really never wanted any human contact with them because I felt many were borderline crazy--I would just go pick up the kittens/cats that needed fostering and bring them back when there was openings. Also I knew if I stuck around the shelter, I would get conned into other chores/duties).
Also because my dad was in advertising, he always always warned me never ever believe everything I read in print. I did not see any televised broadcasts of the seized animals but I know how newspapers and tv news distorts information for ratings. If I were involved with kittykind I'd be calling those same tv newspeople and asking for airtime to show the healthy foster animals still needing homes.
Barbara