Gatorade has water, glucose, sucrose, citric acid, salt, potassium, colors, and flavors, NO CAFFEINE. I would NEVER be stupid enough to give any pet any caffeine.

Glucose and sucrose are quick sources of carbohydrates, and carbs are fast acting calories, which converts into easy to process energy, certainly not something I would think of as a bad thing for a cat that is "running on fumes" so to speak.

I think you are thinking the of new "energy" drinks, such as Red Bull, Hype, Monster Assault, and AMP. These ARE bad, basically just soda with extra caffeine, and juice, plus many have tons of herbs which have never been tested by the FDA to even be safe for adults, much less for growing kids. What's bad for your obese or hyperactive human child, may not be for a weak, starving cat. I think most things kids eat or drink now-a-days are "bad" for them, because it is either rotting their teeth out with sugar and acid, or making them hyper or fat, depending on each child's metabolism. Kool-Aid and penny candy was bad for us as kids too, it's just that back then no one had studied it and put a label on it yet (and our family made us more rounded dinners to make up for it back then). There's a reason why type 2 diabetes is in epidemic proportions today, and it's a problem with our society and how we live our lives, more so than anyone can blame sports or energy drinks. It's the fact that kids don't walk to school much anymore, don't brush their teeth 3 times a day, and don't have high energy hobbies as much as they used to (think tv and video games compared to hopscotch and jumprope). Don't take me wrong, I'm just as fat and lazy as the next typical American.

I do have plain unflavored Pedialyte now, the stores were all closed last night when I got her.

Not all acid is bad, BTW, vitamin C is actually Ascorbic Acid! I was considering adding a bit of that into my mixture, actually, but it tastes so bad, it may turn her off from eating.

Even the unflavored pedialyte has Citric Acid, though less than the adult sports drinks do (it's used for flavor in the sports drinks, it's used mainly as a preservative in pedialyte). Taken from an online source:

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits. It is a good, natural preservative and is also used to add an acidic (sour) taste to foods and soft drinks. In biochemistry, it is important as an intermediate in the citric acid cycle and therefore occurs in the metabolism of almost all living things. It also serves as an environmentally friendly cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.

Citric acid exists in a variety of fruits and vegetables, but it is most concentrated in lemons and limes, where it can comprise as much as 8% of the dry weight of the fruit.

The acidity of citric acid results from the three carboxy groups COOH which can lose a proton in solution. If this happens, the resulting ion is the citrate ion. Citrates make excellent buffers for controlling the pH of acidic solutions.

Citrate ions form salts called citrates with many metal ions. An important one is calcium citrate or "sour salt", which is commonly used in the preservation and flavoring of food. Additionally, citrates can chelate metal ions, which gives them use as preservatives and water softeners.

Just had to weigh in my 2 cents on this one. :)

Jenn