Michelle, FELV is NOT highly contagious in normal situations where it is a FELV+ cat sharing a home with other ADULT HEALTHY cats. It's almost unheard of for healthy adult cats to catch FELV! The problem you face is that as far as immune systems go, your FIV cat IS unhealthy (even though he may not look unhealthy), and he MAY contract FELV if housed together with FELV cats. See, the cases where FELV is caught, almost always, the victims are either kittens (who have not been exposed to enough things to build an immune system yet), or cats with compromised immune systems (such as cats with FIV, like your cat). So, in normal cases, where you want to mix a negative cat with a FELV+ cat, there is NO reason to worry, but since you are housing a FIV+ cat with a FELV+ cat, the FIV cat may very well end up getting FELV. I hope that helps explain things better. FIV is actually more contagious than FELV in normal situations where the exposed cat is healthy and not immune compromised, because FIV is transmitted via saliva or blood contact, so bites and scratches can transmit FIV. This is not the case with FELV, because even if blood to blood or saliva contact takes place, most healthy adult cats will mount an effective immune response to the FELV and fight it off.