Amy, I just want to repeat that Ginger did not eat for over two weeks but now is eating. She probably would have died if I did not force-feed her. As you must know from working in a vet's office, cats who do not eat for more than 48 hours are susceptible to fatty liver disease, which can then kill them.  Also, not eating makes them weaker and more unlikely to fight off whatever they are fighting.  I think you are saying that there is a difference between force-feeding for a short time and doing it until the end of life, and that you disagree with the latter, but I would pose that we can  not always tell the difference until we feed for a while and see if they improve.
Michelle