From: "Hideyo Yamamoto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2005/06/13 Mon PM 06:15:37 EDT
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Subject: RE: 6 week old kitten fever question

Hi,  I have to share my experience that it's pretty common with "fevers
with unknown cause" - I had about a dozen of my cats going through the
same experience - all the blood work came back pretty normal, but some
had a high fever over 106 - my vets couldn't figure out what's wrong
with them and she is a very capable vet - it was probably some type of
virus related - but all my cats had no other symptoms other than fever -
that's why people usually want to blame on FIP as "fevers with unknown
cause" is pretty common symptom for FIP - I was so scared every time
when my cats get high fever because I always thought - oh no they have
FIP - but fortunately that never really was the case -

Also, from an alternative medicine stand point, high fever is not
considered to be such as a bad thing if it does not last more than a few
days (though I had some kitties who's fever did not go down over a week)
- in their interpretation, it's animal's way of trying to deal with
something internally, they are trying to fight off something - so my
holistic vet always discourage to try to stop the fever with an
antibiotic is not necessary the best thing - on the other hand - low
fever is a very bad thing - I lost my little boy Henry - (possible to
FIP, but I never confirmed) - his body was started shutting down, by the
time I went to the emergency, his temp was down to 65 or something - I
was so sad when he crossed -

My baby, Anchovy's fever was up to 106.5, or higher, so high the
thermometer did not even register - I freaked out and the vet put ice
all over her - then she injected her the fever reducer - but she
recovered within two weeks- with no antibiotics or anything.

  _____