When I trap a feral for TNR, if they have earmites, they get Acarexx, (.01% Ivermectin) in the ear canal. I've had occasion to re-trap two cats that this was done with, at least a month later, with no signs of re-infestation. My mom's cat had a nasty case of earmites and we used the Acarexx on him, again, he didn't have to be re-dosed. I realize that the second dose is for the eggs, but in at least these three instances, one dose seems to have been enough. With ferals that's so very important. Once again, thanks for the specifics. I always feel better giving my charges something that has been proven to be safe and effective.
Nina

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ivermectin can be bought without a prescription at farm supply stores. It's sold as a cattle and pig wormer. I've been using the 1% solution made by Merck. The package says "ivomec injection". It comes in a 50ml bottle - so at .1 ml per adult, it'll last for about 500 doses. One of the things I like most about ivermectin is that you only have to use it once every 2 weeks - rather than every day for x# weeks.