Teresa says the horses don't stay near the barn except for feeding,
and the kitten doesn't venture too far (stays mostly around the
d-g house that's set up for the mom-cat).  And during feeding, someone
is always there to keep an eye on the little one - and they try to
supplement the mom's milk with KMR.  The mom cat is a feral barn cat,
and they do see him nurse from her, so if Teresa brings him home there
will be less feeding, less interaction with people, etc.
I'm going to see if there are any low cost spay clinics in her area so
she/they can get the mom-cat spayed. Keep your fingers and paws crossed.
Kat (Mew Jersey)