Thanks Faye, my vet today said there's a test too.  Seems like she said a female shows up but not a male, or an adult but not the microfilia. or something like that?

she said they typically do tests only with symptoms and just use preventative.  i don't know if i can afford it for 7 cats and 2 dogs.  : (

Lewis Faye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If a cat gets a single worm which frequently happens with cats (more so than with dogs) then the test will not show anything.  My vet believes Magellan had either a single heartworm or another parasite in his lung last August.  My vet successfully treated it but I thought I was going to lose Magellan.

There was a U. Fla study in mid florida that found that 15% of all stray feral cats had feline heartworm.  My vet, at this time, does not recommend preventatives.

My cat that got it was entirely a house cat.

catatonya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Erika,

Thank you for the info.  I'm going to the vet tomorrow so I'm going to ask about it.  I'm in the south, and although my cats don't go outside, mosquitoes occasionally get inside, and heartworm in dogs is a HUGE problem here.

tonya

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Tonya,
I didn't know there was a heartworm test either!  They did a blood test that will take from 1-7 days (I guess they run 2 tests on it).  There was an article in our paper that heartworm is particularly bad this year, and since he came in from outside, we wanted to be sure.  It was marked in his records as "heartworm test antigen."  Hope that helps?
Erika

Also, I didn't realize they could do heartworm tests on cats? I thought they could just give preventative, but there was not a test?