From: "TenHouseCats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FeLVTalk" <FeLVTalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 12:16 PM
Subject: question bout kittens....

okay, group, need opinions here.

i currently am the estrogen zone for my part of the state--turned my
front room (formerly cat-free space, for doing crafts) into a nursery.
four condo cages, one floor-to-ceiling cat tree, scratching posts,
lots of toys, etc. 3 big windows, a/c, their own bathroom (well, their
own close-by water supply, at least!).

i currently have four nursing moms, and 24 kittens. (21 biological
kittens and 3 orphans....). all the moms are negative, so i'm assuming
the kittens are as well.

i've been asked to take in 2 two-week-old orphans. i'm wondering how
everyone defines, "PROLONGED, PERSISTENT CONTACT"--ie, do you think
that nursing for another couple of weeks would be enough to pass the
virus? i WILL test the kittens if i get them, but they're so young i'm
not sure i'll trust the results.....).  or should i just bottle-feed
them and keep them separated? (just heard from the woman who has them,
and they're not doing a bottle very well--a momcat and sibkits to
cuddle with might be much better for them, but of course i don't want
to harm the other kittens....)

thoughts, please!!!!!

thanks....
--