Thanks Patti. Yes, agreed--i don't see how you can call yourself "emergency" if you don't have the wherewithal to provide for emergencies. I have no idea if it's unusual or not. I'm certainly going to be making enquiries.
Kerry
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: question re clinics' ability to meet emergency needs

The 24 hour emergency clinic I worked at always (98%) had blood & plasma on hand.
In a couple of instances, there were "donors" (cat/dog) readily available.

My vet has used his own dog as a donor for my Bear, when he was struggling w/ hemolytic anemia.
And, at 138 lbs., Bear had multiple transfusions.

The other vet I worked for referred all transfusions to the Emergency Clinics. (There are 3 within a 75 mile radius)
It is senseless that an Emergency clinic would even try to operate WITHOUT vital things, such as plasma, blood, etc.

At the Emergency Clinic that I worked for, the times we "ran" out was in cases of multiple animals needing transfusions, or large breed dogs w/ massive needs.
However, this clinic belongs to a Veterinary Blood Bank, and can get restocked in 24 hours.
The Veterinary Blood Bank is wonderful too....
There are some vets that will use your pet as a donor, and you are "guaranteed" blood for that pet if the need arises. (Works like a human blood bank, sort of)

Thereare so many inconsistencies with veterinarians.

Patti