-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of TenHouseCats
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 2:05 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: non profit status

as far as i am concerned, the advantages FAR outweigh the
disadvantages. you have to do real bookkeeping, keep records, have a
board of directors, have quarterly meetings, and get a certain amount
of your funding from the public.

most people consider it a huge pain to go through the application
process, and others absolutely hate keeping records. neither are
difficult, just time-consuming. some of us LOVE doing bookkeeping and
taxes (well, you've always known i was a little odd, so this shouldn't
surprise any of you!)--just find one of us to work with you!

there is a yahoo group called, i believe 501(c)3Help, that i know a
lot of folks have joined and worked with during the process. i'm SURE
there are archived discussions there about reasons for and against!

personally, as a bookkeeper for 40 years, i think it is MUCH easier
and far better in the long run to do everything legally and correctly,
whether you go for a 501(c)3 or not--ie, sales tax stuff, income
reporting, etc--that way, no one can ever come back on you and say,
"we think an organization of your type should have made $xxxx last
year---prove to us you didn't."

--
MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats