Hi, did you create your own or did you piggy bag on existing non-profit to get the status?? (I heard the latter is much easier, but I am not sure what’s involved)??

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:02 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: non profit status

-----Original Message-----
From: Hideyo Yamamoto
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Sent: Jun 27, 2005 3:29 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: non profit status

I have a question, as you may know, I rescue cats (most of are strays) with special needs – I fund everything with my income right now and it’s getting very difficult – as I try to give them the quality food,  quality care.

I have a what’s called a “refuge” permit from the animal services in the city – and I was told by the officer and by other people that I should get a non-profit status (501C) – I know what it is – but what would be the down side of getting such a status?  I know you can get donations and tax break and all that – but I wanted to consider some of the disadvantage by getting it -

Hi. We just became incorporated and filed for non profit status. The incorporation cost $600.00. The filing fee for the 501c-3 (non profit status) is $500.00, in New York State anyway. Since we started this cat rescue group and are operating on very limited funds this set us back quite a bit. We are not well known yet so we aren't getting much in donations. I thought these fees were unreasonable for a charatible organization. We found an accountant sympathetic to our cause or it would have cost us even more. He filled out the 501c-3 form for nothing. The form is quite complicated - for me, anyway - and we needed to have it filled out by someone who knew what he was doing.