Dear Michelle L.:

You are so lucky to live where you can get the VO (feline-specific
interferon)...is it as expensive in England as it is here?  I am curious as to
why you
would want to obtain interferon-alpha (human type) when you can get the VO?  I
did not find the
I-a to be of any benefit for either of my first two FeLV+ kittys...I lost one
at 8 mos. to nonregenerative anemia and one at 16 mos. to what was probably
lymphoma in her lungs. With the low dose usually prescribed, there is little
liklihood of antibodies developing, but research has not shown it to be of any
significant benefit at such a low dose.  It may be MUCH cheaper than the VO,
but even so, I found it to be a waste of $$, though some listmembers seem to
think their cats do better when they are "on" it than "off."  In dealing with
FeLV, a "one size its all approach" does not apply and each individual cat's
immune response seems to vary.  The I-a  may have some benefit as a mild immune
booster for a non-symptomatic cat, but I found it had no value whatsover in
dealing with a cat who has developed significant symptoms and is "crashing,"
which
indicates the virus has mutated to one of its more virulent forms.  At that
point, there really is nothing that can turn the tide, only stem it somewhat,
though the VO seems to have snatched Nina's Gracie back from the brink more
than once, though was unable to save her sister Jazz.

What I have found to be more beneficial as an immune booster is Transfer
Factor.  I have two FeLV+ cats, a brother/sister, now two years old, who remain
stable and non-symptomatic and who have been on this type of immune support
since they tested positive the second time at six months.  I rescued a kitten
last
July who tested positive at six weeks and was going to be PTS.  He came to me
with runny eyes and horrid diarrhea, but his symptoms cleared after about 10
days on TF and a homeopathic remedy for the diarrhea.  I kept him on the same
regimen as the other two postives (raw-based diet and immune support with TF
and Oli-Vet (olive leaf extract) and when he was neutered at 6 mos., he
retested NEGATIVE.  He is now a year old and in glowing good health with a
personality that is larger than   life.  I've had two older cats apparently
seroconvert
from postive to negative status given a good diet and immune support, but
Purrki is my first miracle baby.  My most notable non-FeLV related success with
the TF was in successfully nursing a 10-wk. old kitten through panleukopenia
after the vet said she had virtually no chance to survive unless hospitalized
and
put on an IV.  I could not afford to do that and if she had so little chance,
I did not want her to die alone in a hospital cage, so took her home to do
whatever I could, myself.  She had been started on TF at the first sign of a
temp, several days before the obvious symptoms of the P-virus, and I really
think
it was a deciding factor.  I kept her on the TF and an abx was added to help
fight off opportunistic bacterial infection due to degradation of the gut
lining, syringe-fed her, gave her subQ fluids and kept her warm.  Her vomiting
stopped the second day and the putrid diarrhea began, but it never reached that
awful, bloody sort so typical of the end-stage of the disease.  My brave little
Purrsia made a complete recovery from the dread P-virus, only to crash and be
taken out 4 1/2 mos. later by FeLV-related nonregenerative anemia, which she
had tested negative for previously.  The VO was not then available to us here.

Bless you for rescuing Bramble, Buddy and Minstrel from the less than optimum
 situation they were in, despite their + status.  I wish you the best in
finding what will work best to keep them stable.

Sally in San Jose