Hello,

        I have written numerous messages to the board about my cat, BJ. Well, we adopted another cat, a female orange tabby named Mitzi. Both are feline leukemia positive and both are doing great. For those who might not know our story, here it is. My brother and I adopted a black and white domestic shorthair we call BJ. At the time, he was perfectly healthy. Then, three weeks later he had polyps in his left ear and had surgery to remove them. His middle ear was removed and his left ear closed. He has had no residual effect and his hearing is fine.
        Then, about two months later, he began having strange, unexplained fevers and was lethargic and not eating well. The diagnosis was feline leukemia. The prognosis given by our vet at the time, a traditional vet, was grim to say the least. She said the best thing to do was to have BJ euthanized. We immediately started looking for a vet who could help.
        Our last appointment with that vet was on a Friday. We took BJ home that night and had a consultation with an alternative vet the next Monday morning.  She practices holistic and homeopathic as well as tradition veterinary medicine. Some of her methods are not recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Some traditional veterinarians would bristle at her ideas about good dog and cat nutrition.
        However, today, under our new vet's care, BJ is, for all intense and purposes, healthy. He shows no outward sign of illness, even though he still tests positive for feline leukemia. For anyone looking for good veterinary care for an FeLV+ cat or kitten, the best suggestion I can give is to contact the AHVMA, the Holistic Veterinary Medical Association using this link http://www.ahvma.org/referral/. It may help you find a vet in your area who can treat your cat's or kitten's condition.
        I wish I could tell you how much it means to my brother and me to have a vet who has made the choice to treat feline leukemia, not just kill the host. She has the knowledge expertise to do what a traditional vet could not do. When we were given BJ's diagnosis a year ago, it was like getting hit by a truck. When we were told there was nothing to do but put him to sleep, it was like getting hit by a truck again. We knew very little about the illness then. However, we knew that if there was any chance that our precious BJ could live a good life with this disease, then that's what he would do.  We have never looked back and are thankful every single day that we made the choice to get BJ treated.
        Our vet also successfully treats our little one, Mitzi. She is now almost nine months old and is a curious, rambunctious, lively cat. Our non-traditional vet has made a world of difference for our entire family.

Laurie B. Oliver