Hi Everyone,

Tater's belly is big again.  We consulted two internists and both feel that a CAT scan would not be helpful (apparently you need some idea of the area you're trying to zero in on) and we have another split decision on doing an exploratory.  Wendy did some more research on VIN and there is a medication used for treatment of vascular disease in people that some vets are using experimentally in FIP cats.  Evidently, vaculitis is one hallmark of FIP (when the vessels swell they leak protein hence the high protein count that shows in bloodwork) and Trental is supposed to make the blood thinner and make it flow more easily and thereby deliver more oxygen to the organs.  The correct dosage is being compounded for Tater now.  He's also on prednisone and human interferon.  He's still eating and was verrrry interested in what Maurice was doing on the other side of the FIV+ kitties door this morning.  I'm trying to decide how to proceed with him; the evidence now seems overwhelming that it is FIP we're dealing with.

On Tuesday morning I noticed his cousin Mandy (also no teeth due to severe LPG) had a big bloody drool on the side of her face.  She went into the vet on Tuesday night and she has a large mass under her tongue.  There is also extreme irritation on the roof of her mouth above the tongue.  She goes in for a biopsy next week and I've been told it could be an eosinophilic granuloma, a tumor (canerous or not), or a severe manifestion of LPG, even though her teeth are gone.

I so appreciate everyone's good wishes for Tater; will you keep Mandy in your thoughts, too?  I'm really stunned; somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew these kittens would likely all have health problems (that's why I never adopted them out) throughout their lives, and most of them do have chronic herpes outbreaks, or skin problems, etc., but they are so young (6 years of age); it's just breaking my heart.

Mandy is happily eating (stoic little thing; it HAS to hurt) so I guess that's my one bit of positive news.

Thanks for being here.

Love, Julie

"I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is
to protection by man from the cruelty of man. "

by the way its animals are treated."

Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

Paws Come WITH Claws!!!

If you're thinking about de-clawing your cat, you need to re-think your decision to acquire a pet.