Just for the record, they considered me their witch....at least Ebony did.
All black cats need a good witch.  He came to live with me when he was 3 +
years old (no way of really telling).  Blood and pus ran down my legs from
the wounds he had.  I got him fixed up and, for some unknown reason, he
refused to move on.  I didn't like cats.  I didn't want a cat.  I
particularly did not want a wild cat that no one could handle and he was
very wild.  In fact he hissed at me for over a year if I came within 5 feet
of him.  However, I could never let an animal go without medical attention
or food so I was stuck.  I learned later that he picked the only house in
the neighborhood with central air.   He discovered I was a witch when he saw
me open a can of cat food then confirmed his belief when he discovered what
was in the gigantic white box in the kitchen------all sorts of good food.
The first time he saw me open a can he up his hands on the handle to the
oven and stretched his neck to the point I thought it would break (hence the
name  E T Katt.  Of course E T had to stand for something and what better
than Ebony Thomas Katt).  He also pronounced me the world's greatest hunter
when I fixed turkey breasts for him.  If that was the size of the sparrow's
breast, he didn't really care to see the sparrow.  He just left that up to
his humble servant.  If he wanted it, he got it.  He trained my two dogs,
Mai Mai, at 60 lbs, and Allie Beagle, at 30 lbs, to stay on one half of the
bench seat in a Jeep while he occupied the entire other half.  Ebony died 16
years later, on New Year's Eve night, in my arms.

This is just to set the record straight.  Ebony would tell you his Mom was a
beautiful cat that taught him how to hunt and survive in the alleys of a
city where people shot at cats and beat them with brooms and where they live
2-3 years if they are lucky.  She certainly was not some strange looking 2
legged thing that didn't have beautiful fur and looked a lot like his
tormentors.

If you missed it, which is highly unlikely, I grew to adore this loving
spirit. He left almost 7 years ago but he has never really left.  He just
changed forms.  I am extremely grateful for the lessons he taught me then
and the ones I am still learning from him.  MiTu was his little queen and a
truly gentle soul.   I miss her too.