I have heard the same thing.  I know that my cat Ginger, though, who is positive and about 6 years old, was given an FeLV shot at the shelter before her test came back positive, accidentally.  She has had gingivitis problems but is the oldest and healthiest of the positives I have had (at least so far-- knock on wood!). I hate even saying stuff like that because I am so superstitious. Anyway, I would not intentionally vaccinate a positive for FeLV, but I just remembered about Ginger and so thought I would share.
Michelle