As already mentioned via several of our members, and I
have to agree, not all fungi will "glow" under a
Wood's Black Lamp/Light. Cats CAN have skin/hair fungi
infections that do NOT put off a neon yellowish or
greenish glow.

Just because neither you nor your vet cannot see a
"glow" does NOT imply that the cat is fungus free.

The only way to 100% rule out ANY fungus infection is
via a hair CULTURE. Hair cultures are NOT the same
thing as a skin/hair SCRAPPING.

Furthermore, Ringworm is NOT the only fungus infection
that cats can contract (although it is the most
common.)

Unfortunately, cats can also contract Athlete's Foot
and Jock Itch, both in which are cousin fungi to
Ringworm.

Back in February 2005 I had firsthand knowledge as to
the chaos and frustration that a ringworm outbreak can
create.

The veterinarian prescribed an oral medication called
Fulvin a.k.a. Griseofulvin. A prescription of sixty
(60) capsules cost me literally $60.00 dollars.

The medication has two (2) drawbacks. One (1) it is
hard on the liver (ANY anti-fungal medication is hard
on the liver) and two (2) the medication MUST be given
a minimum of thirty (30) days.

Therefore, even if it appears that the fungus is gone,
keep the cats on the meds! It takes approximately
thirty (30) days (sometimes longer depending on the
severity of the epidemic) for the fungi spores to die.

Also, I bought Omega-3 Fish Oil 1200mg
(EPA 216mg & DHA 144mg) to help aid with the itchy
skin and/or coat. Each of my kids got one (1) WHOLE
gel-cap daily.

I neither pierced the gel-cap and squirted the oil
onto their food nor into their mouth. Each of my kids
swallowed one (1) entire gel-cap whole EVERY day.

This particular regimen was administered to thirteen
(13) FeLV negative cats for OVER two (2) months.

Since 02-11-05 I have had two (2) separate hair
CULTURES sent to a diagnostic laboratory (samples from
two (2) different cats) and have gone through hundreds
of dollars on Fulvin a.k.a. Griseofulvin.

The end result now virtually a full year later? Both
of the cultures have came back negative! It appears
that my kids have never had ringworm to begin with,
but were prescribed a medication via a veterinarian as
a "precautionary method." A medication that can cause
liver damage! (Not to mention hundreds of dollars
needlessly wasted.)

Now on top of completing the other eleven (11) hair
cultures (for piece of mind) I need to have Complete
Chemistry Feline Health Panels (blood-work) drawn up
on EACH cat to obtain current liver and kidney values
which will confirm if ANY damage has been done to
those organs! Which means MORE money will be spent
before this situation has been successfully resolved!

Therefore, be extremely careful when searching for a
successful treatment on ANY fungi infections! ALWAYS
do a culture FIRST! Then IF the results come back
positive treat with proper medication.

Chronic continued use of ANY drug that is hard on an
organ can render it useless and can eventually kill
it. A cat without a liver WILL die.

All thirteen (13) of my kids are still living and
breathing!

Hopefully my terrible experience can help save someone
else from being misguided down the same damned and
dangerous path!

Good luck!

Lora

http://mail.yahoo.com