Good to know that panting is most likely normal.  I guess I just worry.... a lot.  My other 3 adult cats are definitely lounge lizards compared to Cotton.   He just always feels so much warmer than the other cats do, so the panting made me think he might be overheating.
Sandy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: was intro now is health issues

Smoky used to play so hard he'd pant.  His favorite game was with an interactive toy and he would do backflips etc trying to catch the ball on the end of the string.  And I could get him doing those tight pivot circles:)  And more than once, during a break for him to pant, he would be so ticked off at the toy that he'd punctuate his panting with hissing!!! "pant pant pant HISSSS pant pant HISSSSS"  It was sooooooo funny!

My sister's old kitty Tessa had some post-playing panting/wheezing, but she also had asthma.

I would just monitor it and if it changes from simple panting after hard exercise to wheezing or out of breath when just doing quiet stuff then I would have a vet check him out.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Sandy! Keep asking away! That's what this group is for! :)

I can try to give you a little advice about #2 and #3 (and #4, if I
remember!)...As for diet, try to stick with foods made with human
grade ingredients with meat being listed as the first ingredient (alot
of commercial foods have corn meal listed as the first ingredient
because it's cheap...not only can animals be allergic to corn meal,
but, generally speaking, they just can't digest corn meal properly--
plus, the carbohydrates contribute to obesity)...Most of these ultra-
premium foods aren't found at the grocery store or Petsmart (although
Nutro isn't a bad option)...I go to a local kennel to pick up my dry
food (Innova Evo) and drive all the way down to a vet in Galveston to
pick up their canned food (Wellness)...here are their websites if you
want to do more research: www.naturapet.com and www.omhpet.com.
Their are others out their, as well...Eagle Pack, Wysong...If you go
to www.petfooddirect.com and check out their food section, they've got
several, high-quality foods...you just have to check out the labels
closely! Personally, I've chosen foods that contain no grains at
all...just meat, veggies and fruit...and my guys are doing great! Raw
food diets are also another option...you can cook them yourself (I
don't have much experience with this one) or, some places carry
frozed, prepared raw food diets. I've tried Nature's Variety frozen
raw food patties...most of my guys like it (one in particular), but
they get bored with it after awhile...so I just switch around a bit!
Just do a google search with something like "bad commercial pet food"
and you'll get several articles pertaining to what's actually in
common commercial pet foods...ick! ;)

And as for his mouth...sounds like stomatitis! It's another disease
that with take advantage of an FeLV+ cat's weakened immune
system...our Pips had it pretty bad...he was finally, successfully
treated with Zithromax (and antibiotic). But depending on the
severity and whether or not it responds to medications at all,
sometimes, the only option is to pull teeth (our vet actually pulled
several of Pips' teeth while she was cleaning them). Just keep an eye
on them, stomatitis can make eating painful!

And as for the panting after playing, that sounds fairly normal to
me...I've got a couple of cats (both + and -) who play so hard that
they just wear themselves out and start gasping for air
(panting)! ;) But, of course, when you're dealing with FeLV, you'll
want to keep an eye on that...it's when he's having trouble breathing
while just resting when you need to worry. It just sounds like he's
an aggressive player (like most kittens)! :)

Hope some of this helps! You'll get plenty of more advice from
others!!

Jen

"But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be
unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world;
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed..." --Antoine
de Saint-Exupéry

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know
each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and
what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys." --
Chief Dan George