There are some Vegans out there that don't seem to have health problems feeding
their
cats vegan diets, but I'm not too sure it's really a GOOD thing to do to a cat,
being, like you said, carnivores themselves. I definitely would not want to
press my
luck with turning a FELV+ cat vegan, it's just not healthy for any cat, much
less a
immune compromised one. That being said, I think you're right on target with
that
aspect. A/D is a food commonly prescribed to sick cats to get something into
them, or
for cats that have been off food, because it is bland and doesn't upset their
stomachs. If he's not sick, I see no reason to feed it. It's diet food, and
expensive
for you to buy at your vet's office, I am sure (which may be part of why they
are
selling it to you). Many of the premium brands make canned as well as dry food.
feed dry kibble free choice 24/7 in a autofeeder. It holds a gallon of kibble at
once, so they never run out. I feed canned food as a treat only, because my
cats are
all fat (or tend towards it). If you are vegan, it's likely that you've been in
a few
natural food stores or co-ops. Many of those sell the good quality premium cat
foods,
such as Innova. I know my local co-op sells it here, and they cater to
vegan/vegetarian/all natural types of people.

One thing you should know about cats in general: Watch your choice of toys.
String,
yarn, and ribbon are all potentially deadly toys. If the cat (or your dogs
even) eats
it, it can get twisted up in the intestine, and cause it to tie up, and that's
quite
deadly. Put any string type toys away in a safe drawer when not actively
playing with
your cat with them, never let them chew on it on their own. I've also had cats
grab
for a bell and get their claw into the little hole, and then slide down into
the slot
where it narrows, and get their claw trapped in it. It's not harmful really,
but it
freaks them out, and makes them panic, and could cause them to hurt themselves
trying
to get it off (or cause you to hurt him trying to get it off of him). I remove
bells
from toys that come with bells and throw them in the trash now. You can buy all
kinds
of cool (and safe) cat toys online here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2002+2011

One of my cat's favorite toys are the plastic seal rings off of gallons of milk,
sunny delight, and frozen concentrated orange juice. Yes, the little plastic
things
that show it hasn't been previously opened! They also like the furry mice with
feather tails, but being vegan, that might be a bit too "dead animal product"
for you
(being fur and feathers). Wadded up balls of aluminum foil to make 1 inch balls
also
seems to be a good homemade toy. And, the all time grossest homemade cat toy:
hairballs. Human hairballs, that is. Get all your and your roommates hairbrushes
(assuming you have longer hair), and clean all the loose hair out of them, wad
it up
into the palm of your hand, add a little bit of spit, and rub your hands
together in
a circle like you are trying to warm them up until it wads up into a tight
little
ball. Man, they LOVE hairballs.

Jenn
http://ucat.us
http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Adopt a cat from UCAT rescue:
http://ucat.us/adopt.html
Adopt a FIV+ cat:
http://ucat.us/AWrescue/FIV/
Adopt a FELV+ cat:
http://ucat.us/FELVadopt.html
"Saving one animal won't make a difference in the world, but it will make a
world of
difference for that one animal."
I collect KMR kitten formula labels for Bazil, a 3 yr old special needs cat who
must
live on a liquid diet for the rest of his life.
Bazil's caretaker collects labels and sends them to KMR, where they add up
until she
earns a free can of formula!
PLEASE save your KMR kitten formula labels for Bazil!

If you use KMR, even just one can, please email me for the NEW address to send
them
to!