Hi Allie,

I took a poll here not too long ago regarding mixing
positives and negatives (I haven't posted the results
to as I was waiting for anyone who hadn't had a chance
to send in their experiences yet to do so).  I will
probably post the results next week.  But
overwhelmingly, there is no real evidence that mixing
positives and negatives will result in negatives
contracting FeLV from the positives.  Bonnie (I think)
posted that she had a couple that did contract it from
another, but from what I understood in the post, they
were kittens.  We have figured out that kittens are
the most susceptible to succumbing to the disease, and
maybe they are more susceptible to contracting it.
But many of us believe that those that turn up with it
later probably were born with it versus being exposed.
 There's probably nothing you can do at home sanitary
wise to combat FeLV other than physically separating
the cats, and anything that they might share in the
way of litter, food, and water as well as saliva (from
grooming).  But I am not convinced that it's so easy
to contract the virus.  If cats are grooming each
other every day and are VERY close and intimate, I can
see the chances increasing dramatically, but if not,
then I believe the opposite to be true.  I have three
inside cats now that Cricket passed away.  Two of them
are 9, and one 16.  None of them were ever separated
from Cricket inside the home and none have contracted
FeLV, even though the two 9 year olds lived with him
for 4 and a half years and the 16 year old lived with
him for a year.  They have always shared all dishes
and litter boxes.  I never took any precautions,
although I didn't know until 2 years ago that Cricket
had FeLV.  I haven't vaccinated any of them in the
last two years, as it hadn't been 3 years since their
last vaccination between the time we found out about
Cricket and when he died.  I will not vaccinate them
next year because they are solely inside cats.  Many
of us here think that most sources say to "remove all
negatives immediately" or "euthanize immediately"
because the vets truly don't know how the disease is
spread exactly and that's the best thing they can say
to try make sure they are 100% right.  One of my vets
told me that there is no evidence to support FeLV
being contracting in any way other than through blood
(a fight) or birth.  He said everything else is just
propaganda right now, and I agree with him.

I am sending vibes your way for Leo to be negative,
although I suspect he will be.  And also for Lola.
Keep us posted.

:)
Wendy

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs