Warning...this is a LONG one and mostly about vegetarianism/animal activism.
But first...

Thanks for that note on the Native American poem...I'm going to look for that.

Nina- That's my favorite veterinary resource Marvistavet! Thanks for that link.
That's how I tried it but the problem
was, I couldn't restrain his feet with one hand while giving him the pill with
the other and he reached up and
scratched me and while I was putting the pill in his mouth, he bit down on my
hand. I just thought of something that
was recommended with my guinea pigs and wonder if it would work, but it is kind
of mean, though any way you give
a pill is going to be to the cat...It was suggested that I wrap my guinea pig
in a towel...Maybe if I wrap him in a towel
to hold his feet back, that might work. Then again, he'll probably figure out a
way to get out. LOL. I'm calling the vet
tomorrow for liquid form and see about that.

Now...

Tonya (is that right?) about the whole vegan/vegetarian discussion...You put
things very well. It is so true that people
turn a blind eye to satisfy a craving. Many of my friends who are of Christian
Faith question me and test me about my
decisions not to eat meat. They disagree with me and believe that animals were
put here for our use. Even though it's
no longer necessary. What strikes me is that one of the basic tenets of
Christian religion is "thou shalt not give into
temptation" but somehow, where eating and using animals is concerned, that
doesn't seem to apply. (I hope I'm not
offending anyone here...my apologies if I have). I think though, that animals
are considered by many Christians, not
to have souls or be of importance in the kingdom of Heaven. But aren't all
animals God's creatures? This, I struggle to
understand. My boyfriend is of pretty strong Protestant belief, but he doesn't
give me a hard time about it. He really
and truly loves animals and he admires me for my decisions, and even tells
everyone how cool I am about it because
I'm not a fanatic or pushing it in people's faces. But, he too, doesn't make
the connection between the animals at
home and the animals on his plate. On one of my websites I have a picture of a
cat and a pig looking at each other
and underneath, the caption says "You call one a pet, and the other
food....Why?" Recently a friend of mine saw that,
and hasn't eaten meat for a week. For him, that made the connection. I don't
know if he'll stick to it, but at least he is
trying and at least for him, something has clicked. As you said...any little
bit makes a difference.

I know 2 people who actually worked in the animal industry and became vegan as
a result of it. One, is the mad
cowboy, who i don't know personally...and the other is a man named Virgil
Butler, who I've spoken to quite a few
times. He used to work for Tyson chicken and one day, something finally snapped
and as he watched his fellow co-
workers mistreat the chickens and watched the process of how they come to be
the food on our plates. He actually
went up against Tyson in court in a lawsuit. If you're interested in reading
about him, he's known as the cyberactivist.
Just google that. It'll come up.

There is a book called "Dominion" by Matthew Scully and it's about animal
exploitation and thoughts and
philosophies about it. He was a former speech writer for President Bush and a
conservative Republican who is a
vegetarian/vegan and gets teased of course by his colleagues. But honestly, I
think anyone who cares about animals
needs to read this book. It is life altering and really makes you think.
Whether you're a veg or not. If you love
animals. Read this book. It is well written, intelligent, makes wonderful and
logical points, gets you to think and can
change your life. It changed mine. It was the best book I have ever read. One
of the points he made, which was blunt
as could be, was:

"...let us just call things what they are. When a man's love of finery clouds
his moral judgement, that is vanity. When
he lets a demanding palate make his moral choices, that is gluttony. When he
ascribes the divine will to his own
whims, that is pride. And when he gets angry at being reminded of animal
suffering that his own daily choices might
help avoid, that is moral cowardice." ~Matthew Scully

Harsh as that may be, it does hold some merit. I think. But it's what many
people have to do. I don't begrudge people
their decisions to follow what is a traditional and long standing way of life.
To choose the route of vegetarianism or
veganism is life altering. But not as much, or in the way that one might think.
It is very painful to recognize the actual
reality of the animal industry and to make the connection. It's not something
many people can handle. God, I
remember when I first started venturing out into the world of vegetarianism and
animal activism I was outraged,
disgusted, saddened and angry at what goes on. For a long time i was angry at
anyone who couldn't see things my
way. So it was a long and gradual process for me to accept what is and do what
I can on my own part. But it is
definitely not an easy conversion. I'll be the first to admit.  Our brain is
capable of amazing things. People
subconsciously block out painful experiences as if they don't exist, and it's
like they never happened. Our brains are
able to mask, ignore and deny many things and make them non-existent or unreal.
It's what humans have been doing
for years in terms of using animals for commodities. You'd have to, especially
if you have a good heart. You have to
numb yourself to it. Yes, I would love if more people opened up to the
realities, but I know it is a big step and as I
said, I have to be tolerant of other people's decisions if I wish for them to
be tolerant of mine.

I'm the first to say that being vegan is not easy. I have known a lot of people
who are or were vegans and fell off that
wagon. I have too. Eggs and cheese. But I just could never bring myself to ever
ever eat any kind of meat at all. No
flesh of any kind whatsoever. I can honestly say that I remember meat tasting
really good. I won't lie. It did. But now
there's a different association with it that just completely blocks me from
ever putting a piece of meat into my mouth
again. For me, that association is more powerful than flavor. Especially when
there are so many other
DELICIOUS things to eat that aren't animal!

Talking about this really helps me to have more conviction about things and
bring things to the forefront that have
long been dormant in my mind. I'm so glad that there are people here who can
relate to this and people who are so
receptive to talking about this topic. Thank you to all of you.

Thanks everyone really, for being so receptive to this discussion, esp. here on
a list of other topics. Sorry for the long
post, I just get going on this stuff.

I should make a separate list for this stuff. I feel bad taking up space here
about this and not about what this list is
for.

Thanks anyhow...  :)