This is the famous (or rather infamous, EDNAH sanctuary) that among other things got a bunch of dogs rescued in New Orleans area because of Hurricane Katrina.  I believe the Katrina dogs placed there were from Pasado, a reputable group in Oregon?, not sure, that had done rescue in NOLA.  As a second tragedy, one of the places that some the EDNAH dogs were sent to in Kansas, also just got raided for exactly the same conditions.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of catatonya
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:58 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: sanctuaries

Here is a post I just received.  I'm just saying you have to be extremely careful with sanctuaries.  I think ALL of them are started for the right reasons.  People just get overwhelmed and then we have situations like this. :(

Of course I realize there are many wonderful sanctuaries.  I think people wanting to get rid of an animal for some reason just jump on the term 'sanctuary' and leave an animal there thinking they've done the 'right' thing without doing any checking, etc.... It's a shame, but many sanctuaries end up in bad situations.

Ark. Animal Rescuers Charged With Cruelty
GAMALIEL, Ark. — Two owners of an animal rescue operation were
arrested after hundreds of dogs, some rescued from Hurricane
Katrina, were found on the couple's property groveling for food
among urine and feces, authorities said Saturday.

Among the stench, sheriff's deputies found one dead dog, another
with a broken leg, and many with sores, Baxter County Sheriff John
Montgomery said.

Between 400 and 500 dogs were on the two-acre lot, including 50 pit
bulls rescued from Louisiana after the hurricane, Montgomery said.
About 75 dogs were running loose, he said.

Some of the dogs appeared to be aggressive; others sat nervously in
small metal cages.

"It's very sad that people depend on this shelter to take care of
their animals and you get here and see that the conditions are just
unbelievable," Montgomery said.

William Hanson, 41, and his wife Tammy Hanson, 38, were charged
Friday with animal cruelty and released on $1,000 bond each.
Messages left with the couple Saturday seeking comment were not
immediately returned.

Volunteers and a veterinarian were tending to the animals at
E.D.N.A.H. Animal Rescue and Sanctuary, or Every Dog Needs A Home.
Montgomery said the dogs might be sent to other shelters or rescue
groups.

___

October 23, 2005 - 7:22 a.m. EDT

Copyright 2005, The Associated Press. The information contained in
the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or
redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated
Press.

When it comes to saving the life of an animal, trust no one other than yourself!!  DO NOT THINK SOMEONE ELSE WILL DO IT!!!

Barbie pet rescue

North georgias

Save the world

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

§    Visit your group "kittycityrescue" on the web.

§    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

§    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.