As I stated before, I haven't followed this thread, but I wish people (especially shelters) would STOP testing for fiv.  Period.  All it does is lead to cats being euthanized.  And cats can lead perfectly healthy, normal lives with it.  I had a cat with fiv for years and we never even knew he had it.  He died at a very old age of liver problems.  Looking back, the only thing we 'think' could have been a manifestation of the fiv was that he was prone to ear infections.  But......... his ears were also folded down and very scarred from his tomcatting days or he was actually a scottish fold.  We don't know.  The vet said cats with ears like his typically had more ear problems.

erin moody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I can't believe that there isn't a known way to test. So many cats are in jeopardy due to the vaccination if the shelters don;t specially test them. Its a hard concept for me to grasp that they passed this vaccination without considering the outcome of lost or abandoned pets. Erin

Erin~
That's just one of the things that bothers me about the FIV vaccine ~ once vaccinated w/ the vx., all cats will test POSITIVE for the FIV virus. I am pretty sure the cats will test positive on any of the tests.
I am sure Hideyo or one of the group members who have more up to date news on the vaccine will chime in.
It's a pity that in cases where a cat has no prior history, that even veterinarians still assume they have the virus.
IMO, they should have addressed this before marketing the vaccine.
Even if positive, FIV+ cats can live long and healthy lives.
Best of luck to you....
Patti