Michelle,my thoughts and prayers are with your Patches and lucy
Sherry

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I was already fretting about Patches because she has been having a little trouble eating and the gums above her two broken canines are really swollen, so I made an appointment with a dentist for her tomorrow and was pretty sure he was going to say they have to come out. She is FeLV+ and at least 5 years old, so surgery freaks me out. But today she was running around the house meowing and sqatting and peeing little drops of bloody urine, so I scooped her up and took her to the vet. She has crystals again, they think (second time) and was given antibiotics and pain killer.  They also did an FeLV test to confirm her status, and guess what-- yes, she has FeLV, but she also has FIV.  I had not known this. AND he could not get blood from her because she had such a stress reaction to him trying that she started panting and almost collapsed. I have never had blood drawn from her before.  He insisted the only way to get the blood (necessary for pre-surgery workup anyway, but I wanted to see if anything else is going on with her) was to give her isoflourine gas (i.e. anesthesia) for 5 minutes and get the blood that way.  This was a new vet to me, and I never heard of such a thing, and did not want to do it. Gray convinced me to do it because she needs blood drawn, is going to have to get anesthesia to get the teeth out anyway next week, and she had been so stressed by the attempt to get blood from her that he thought such stress could do as much damage as the 5 minutes of gas. So I did it, and she was ok, but I was really upset about it.  This is already the 2nd vet office I am trying in the area since moving her in August.  I thought I would like them because they carry Purevax vaccines, unlike most places, and because the vet I saw there when I took Quincy for his Purevax FeLV vaccine was really great. But this was the other vet there.

And of course vet started quoting the statistic to me that 80% of cats with FeLV die within 3 years of contracting it, and my remaining three have all had it at least 4 years or so and probably longer, so although I know these stats are skewed from so many positives being euthanized on testing positive, I started feeling really depressed about their prospects for having much more time.

ANYWAY, having had anesthesia gas and some painkiller and dex, Patches is quite calm and happy now and basking in the sun on the bed, but I probably need anti-anxiety meds now.

Please say a prayer for her to get through all of this, the urinary tract problems and the dental surgery, without problems.  Also please pray for Lucy, who seems to have IBD now and is on steroids (she is also FeLV+).  I am going to start making home-made diets for them to see if that helps.  I want to try raw but am worried because some people say that immune-compromised cats can have problems with the increased bacteria load in raw, so I think I may try a lightly cooked version of a raw diet.

Michelle

Yahoo! Photos