Hi. Cirproheptadine is the same thing as periactin, so that's what I was suggesting.  I do not know how long you have to wait for B-12 shots, but I think I have heard a week like you have.  Prednisone pills, or dexamethasone pills, also increase appetite and can have a stimulating effect on anemia, and are milder than the shot of dex.  Though if the vet thinks steroids are an ok idea I think I would go with the dex shot-- stronger and faster working and often gets cats eating within a couple of hours.

Michelle