From: Dudes
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: FeLV transmission by bite

Hi Deb, very good to know you.  I haven't been on the list long either, and I'm mostly lurking these days. Thanks for the head's up on neutering.  I do keep a spray bottle handy for Cotton when he stalks Cricket.  Now when he sees the spray bottle come out, he narrows his eyes and recoils, so he is learning and doesn't want to be sprayed.  But I feel like it's not enough, judging from the missing fur and scabs on Cricket.  I feel like I have failed to keep her safe.

Cricket was already rather unsure of herself, as she has been bullied in the past by the my big male tuxedo cat, Myca.  Once he cornered her when she was much younger, and she was so afraid, she lost control of her bladder right on the spot, poor little girl.  And she has had to assert herself with my other female Miss. When she was tiny, Miss was a wonderful surrogate mom to her, and they were very cozy.  But when Cricket reached social maturity, they fought. As some might remember, I shared about how my Miss was so angry after a bad fight in which she got a nasty bite from Cricket, Miss refused to come out of the bedroom for almost 6 months!

Before Cotton came, everyone was at last at peace.  Had I any choice about Cotton's presence, I would not have added a 4th cat.  But after we learned how poorly he was being cared for, and found out he was FeLV+, finding him another home was out of the question.

 I am using the Feliway spray, and it has helped, but I can't help feeling anxious when Cricket and Cotton are in the same room together.  And I have to look around first before I give any love to Cotton, because I don't want Cricket to see me.  I feel guilty.  And Cotton really needs all the handling we can give him, because he was neglected and was not used to being touched, talked to, or even fed regularly.  He's so much better, but he's still not that comfortable with being handled.  He does seek affection now, but we have to keep it short and follow with treats or he bites.

I will keep trying different things, the plug-in diffuser, and hopefully we can work all of this out, and perhaps everyone will get what they need.  Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Sandy