From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of tamara stickler
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:27 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Heart Murmur

Heart murmurs can develop at any stage of life, but, should be seriously monitored and treated if it continues to get worse.  My Quintapus was diagnosed with a heart murmur only after he had a bit of a heart attack at age 2.  I took him to a cariologist and it turned out he had cardiomyopathy (hardening of the heart).  Dr. gave him meds and an estimate of approx. 3 yrs. of life left.  Quintie just died last March at the ripe age of 12.  With medication and proper monitoring heart murmurs can be controled.

As for the neuturing...if Wowie doesn't go outside at all (nor try to get out), and all your other animals are fixed....its strickly your decision. You know your cat best.  Don't let someone else bully you into making a decision you aren't comfortable with...because if something should (not that it will) go wrong, you'll have difficulty forgiving yourself.

FYI, Quint did have dentals during his life which require "putting him out" and he did fine, even with the heart murmur and renal failure.  (It was a blood clot that finally did him in.)

veggiepugs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well I took Wowie (Brooklyn) to the vet today for his eye infection, which I am now treating, and the dr said to me
"He's not neutered!!" I said well, last I was here, I was told he was at more risk under anesthesia being FeLV+ so I am
hesitant. Asked me if he was an indoor cat I said yes, he said his urine must stink. Actually, I said, he is very good
with the litterbox and I keep it clean so, no. Like as if that's more important than his risks under anesthesia. THEN he
tells me, "He has a heart murmur". So i say out loud "Even MORE of a reason for me not to put him under!!!" Am I
wrong not to neuter him? He's strictly indoor. Am I putting him at risk for more illness? Or am I playing it safe? So,
now he has a heart murmur and I'm wondering why they didn't catch this OR the fact that they told me today that he
has gingivitis, at his last visit a month and a half ago. They looked in his mouth and listened to his heart so what the
heck? Dr says I need to have him get an echocardiogram. Said the murmur and the eye infection AND the gingivitis
could be secondary to felv. I'm worried. But wowie is still happy and doing well, any words of advice/guidance? I
have to start brushing his teeth too.
Thanks
Rebecca