I happened to be off on Monday when Ginger was sick, but if I had not I would have taken off, certainly.  I did not go in Wednesday either, after losing her. When my Josephine and Buddy were so sick in 2002-3 winter, I did go to work a lot but often could not get anything done because I was thinking of them so much and calling my partner all the time to see how they were.  And twice I went to work on what turned out to be a cat's last day or next to last day, and have so regretted doing it.  So I agree-- take off whatever time you need to, as long as it does not cost you your job (if you need the job to make ends meet).
Michelle