Had found this in Katrina work--might be a help...

Owner Behaviors That Create Problems:

Cat owners often behave in ways that actually inhibit their chances of
finding their lost cat. They develop "tunnel vision" and fail to find their
cat because they focus on wrong theories. They experience "grief avoidance"
and quickly give up their search effort. They feel helpless and alone, often
discouraged by others who rebuke them and tell them "it was just a cat" and
"you'll never find your cat." But one of the biggest problems is that cat
owners typically focus their search efforts by posting lost cat flyers and
by searching the cages at the local shelter. Although these techniques are
important and should not be overlooked, the primary technique to recover a
missing cat should be to obtain permission from all neighbors to enter their
yards and conduct an aggressive, physical search for the missing cat (and to
set baited humane traps there when necessary). Simply asking a neighbor to
"look" for the lost cat is not sufficient! Neighbors are not going to crawl
around on their bellies under their decks or houses to search for someone
else's lost cat!

Rescuer Behaviors That Create Problems:

One of the most tragic misinterpretations of feline behavior occurs when
rescuers observe a cat with a xenophobic temperament and assume, based on
the fearful behavior, that the cat is an untamed "feral." While it is true
that feral, untamed cats that are unaccustomed to human contact will hiss,
spit, twirl, lunge, and urinate when humanely trapped, this "wild animal"
behavior is also common in cats who have xenophobic temperaments! We know
this because we have talked to owners of lost xenophobic cats that had to be
humanely trapped in order to be recovered; the owners verified that their
cats exhibited wild behavior while in the humane trap. These behaviors are a
reflection of a fearful TEMPERAMENT, not a lack of TAMENESS. Shelter and TNR
workers should scan all "feral" cats for microchips and conduct research
(check Classifieds, lost cat reports, etc.) to determine if the new "feral"
is actually someone's xenophobic pet cat that escaped outdoors, perhaps
several weeks or months before it was found.

Lost "Indoor-Only" Cats":If your indoor-only cat has escaped outside there
is good news--your cat is probably not lost at all! That is because it is
likely that your cat is hiding and, depending upon the terrain, may be
closer than you think! When an indoor-only cat escapes outside, it is a case
of where is the cat is likely hiding (usually near the escape point) in
fear. That is because cats are territorial and your cat's territory was
inside of your home. Once a cat is transplanted into unfamiliar territory,
it seeks shelter because it is afraid. A cat that is afraid (and cats that
are injured) will seek areas of concealment such as under a deck, under a
house, under a porch, in heavy brush and they will not meow! Meowing would
give up their location to a predator. It has nothing to do with whether the
cat loves you, whether it recognizes your voice, or whether it can smell
you--it has everything to do with the fact that a frightened cat will hide
and be silent!

The method that Missing Pet Partnership has pioneered that has resulted in
the recovery of many "missing" indoor-only cats is the same method used to
capture feral cats--the use of a humane trap. We call this
"trap-and-reunite" or "TAR". These wire cages are available for rental from
your local shelter or veterinarian or for sale at hardware stores, pet
stores, or on-line atwww.animal-care.com. Humane traps have a trip mechanism
that when triggered by a cat, will shut the door and contain a cat inside.

Sadly, cat owners are being told to post flyers and to drive twenty miles to
check the animal shelter cages but they are not being instructed to set
humane traps in their neighbor's yard where their indoor-only cat might be
hiding in fear. They are being told to place an advertisement in the local
paper but they are not being told that injured cats will likely be hiding
within their territory in an area of concealment and that they will not
meow. Animal shelters are not providing this information because they are
not trained in this new information! Missing Pet Partnership plans to
provide training in lost pet behavior to animal shelter staff and volunteers
so that more cat owners can be given information that will help them know
how and where to search for their missing cat. You can help us by telling
the volunteers or staff at your local shelter about our organization and web
site! Here are some links related to humanely trapping displaced cats:Kat
Albrecht was interviewed about Lost Cat Behavior in this article Pauline
Phung's site is the best resource for how and why you should humanely trap a
lost cat.

Lost Outdoor-Access Cats:

One of the most profound discoveries that we have made at Missing Pet
Partnership is that the methods that should be used to search for a missing
outdoor-access cat are much different than those used to search for a
missing indoor-only cat!

When an outdoor-access cat disappears, it means that something has happened
to the cat to interrupt its behavior of coming home. Cats are territorial
and they do not just run away from home (like dogs do). Thus the tactics and
techniques used to search for a missing cat should be different than those
used to search for a missing dog. Lost cat posters will not always help find
your cat if it has crawled under your neighbor's deck and is injured and
silent. We believe that lost cat posters should be used, but that additional
measures should be taken as well. If your outdoor cat is missing, consider
that it may be:

TRAPPED - Your cat could be up a tree, on a roof, under a house, inside a
neighbor's basement or shed. This would mean that your cat would likely be
within its normal territory, usually a 5-house radius of your home. It is
imperative that you obtain permission from your neighbor to enter their yard
so that you can look for your cat yourself. DO NOT rely on asking your
neighbor to "LOOK" for your cat-their idea of looking will be to call if
they see your cat sitting on their patio!

INJURED - The behavior of an injured or sick (or displaced, panicked) cat is
that they will hide in silence. We have called this "The Silence Factor" and
this behavior KILLS CATS EVERY DAY! Hiding in silence is a protective
mechanism that cats use to protect themselves from predators. What this
means is that before you print up lost cat posters or drive down to your
shelter to look for your lost cat, SEARCH under and in every conceivable
hiding place on your own property and on your neighbor's property! It is
quite possible that your cat is injured and in need of medical attention and
you will need to use a flashlight and crawl under your house in order to
save his life!

DISPLACED - Cats that are chased from their territory either by dogs,
people, or other cats who beat them up and cats that are panicked by
fireworks will often become "displaced" into unfamiliar territory. Many of
these cats, once their adrenaline levels have subsided, will work their way
back home, often showing up the next day or a few days later. But many of
these cats, especially those with skittish temperaments, will be so panicked
by the experience that they will hide in fear and will be too afraid to
return home. We've seen many cases where a cat was "lost" but was actually
just three houses away, crouching and hiding in fear inside a neighbor's
yard! These cats could have jumped a few fences or crossed one street and
yet they behaved like they were feral cats, afraid of humans. Some meowed
and let their owners pick them up-others darted and ran from their owners
and had to be humanely trapped. Understand the critical importance of
conducting an aggressive, physical search for your cat within your cat's
immediate territory (neighbor's yards) in order to determine if your cat is
still within the area. The failure to conduct this type of search is why so
many cats are never found by their owners and end up being absorbed into the
feral cat population. For more information on this behavior, read Kat
Albrecht's book The Lost Pet Chronicles.

Chris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]