Dear Kerry,
My mother was Brenda Smith, I am Janine Smith, and she would have wanted me to write to you for this cause.  We have THREE cats with FelV.  Peridot is a beautiful orange tabby and he came to us over 7 years ago and he was around four the vet thought.  He is now at least 11 years old and is as healthy as any other cat.  He has had no symptoms.

 We also rescued Lovey and Merry from Georgia in February last year and they are at least over 2 years old and they are both healthy  without any symptoms.  They all interact with our other three cats without any problem.  My non-FelV cats receive their shots each year, all of them get a dose of L-lysine daily and the three FelV cats receive Interferon daily.

I expect all of them to live a nice long healthy life.  My mother once told me, she had read somewhere that once a FelV cat has reached 2-3 years of age without showing symptoms they are a carrier, but usually will be unsymptomatic.  I hope this helps and the shelter can help a lot more of our feline friends.
--

     Brenda.....

     http://www.whiskersandwicks.com
     http://www.cheqnet.net/~bksmith

"The only risk you ever run in befriending a cat is enriching yourself." - Colette

Don't Take Your Organs To Heaven.  Heaven Knows We Need Them Here.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.