I ditto the part about hanging on to the cat and having a cat in a harness and leash.  I also had a towel that I threw over my Tucson as we walked through the security gates.  The less she saw, the better!  Have flown with her twice and both times had a backpack of all sorts of things—food, water, puppy pads, towel, dishes, wipes,etc.  Never used any of them—she slept the whole way.  I recommend a STRONG soft sided carrier—you can get away with getting one a little bigger as they squish.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:38 PM
To:
felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Transportation question

The worst part about flying with cats is that they make you physically remove the cat from it's carrier to inspect the carrier. It's very easy to lose a panicked cat this way. Make sure you cat is wearing a TIGHT NON-Stretchable NON-Safety collar or inescapable harness and a leash, and tie the leash to your arm, then put the cat in the carrier and close the leash in the door, this way when you have to remove the cat, it cannot get away from you.

You should also be aware that airlines have killed, injured, and lost pets being shipped in cargo. Never ship a pet in cargo! http://ucat.us/airline-loss-reports.html

Personally, I think flying a pet is too stressful in general, and would never subject any of my cats to it, but I know sometimes it's the only way. Just be aware of the stress and try to minimize it as much as you can (esp important for FELV+ cats).

Jenn
http://ucat.us
http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Adopt a cat from Little Cheetah (UCAT) Cat Rescue:
http://ucat.us/adopt.html
PLEASE DONATE TO THE TANGLE FUND:
Tangle is a cat in Greece that was severely injured when someone wrapped wire around his neck to strangle him,
Little Cheetah Cat Rescue is raising funds to bring Tangle to Vermont to find him a good home!
http://ucat.us/tangle-fund.html