Kris,
There have been other kitties on the list that were diagnosed later in life. I can remember one case where the cat in question was an inside only cat with no known association with cats having felv. One possibility is that they are "carrying" the disease sequestered in their bone marrow without displaying symptoms, (they can also test neg using ELISA, under this circumstance). Then, one terrible day, it rears it's ugly head. The cat becomes sick, does not recover as expected, is tested, and gets a pos result. How very shocking that must be. One of my rescued felv litter kittens, Tim, tested neg and this could be what's going on with him. I choose to consider him my miracle boy anyway. There is something called a PCR test that is suppose to be better at diagnosing felv, (there is debate about it's effectiveness because of possible errors in evaluating/running the test) and there is a bone marrow test that is more invasive that can be done.
Nina

gwork wrote:

She hasn't been retested since the beginning of all this (almost 6 years ago), but it's my understanding that once the virus enters the marrow, it's a lifetime deal. Sort of like herpes. The body has already past the point at which it is able to defeat the virus, and has lost. The thing that seems to be so unique in our situation, as I don't know of one other person yet who has experienced it, is that Spaz was asymptomatic and not diagnosed until 8 years of age. Everyone else is receiving their diagnoses during kittenhood or very early adulthood, when the susceptibility is apparently higher.

Kris