> Testing is VERY expensive when you take in numbers of cats. It's
> hard to break even as it is... most people don't want to pay over
> $70 for a cat's adoption fee... the FIV/FELV combo snap test is
> $35. Add the spay/neuter... and you're already losing money. I
> have never ever once made any profit on saving a single cat in my 1
> care. My typical loss is upwards of $50 for every cat I rescue,
> just in vet work, that's not saying how much in food, litter, and
> supplies I spend for every cat.

I am really lucky that I can get cats tested for $16 each.  I do have
to wait, sometimes for hours, though.  We charge a higher adoption fee
and I still lose enough money that I can't take in any more fosters.
Missy has to go to the kitty cardiologist and we are having layoffs at
my job.  Adoptions are down this year too.

Oh, I also have a wondeful vet who doesn't charge me an exam fee.  He
loses money on me big time.  I still spent over $125 in meds just for
fosters in the month of May, not including my own cats.