I agree -much of the approach to FELV seems based on paranoia, not reality. My vet told me that the virus dies when it hits the air. What I've read is that adult cats with good, normal immune systems just don't pick up that virus. I mixed mine and have not seen a cat come down with FELV from associating with an FELV cat in a normal household environment.

Gloria