Just to clarify... When I said that I treated their gums with the oral rinse a quarter at a time, I meant each day I would do one quarter of their mouths. The top right one day, bottom right the next and so on. I didn't want to stress them with doing their whole mouth at a time and didn't like having them ingest too much of the oral rinse.

Nina wrote:

Hi Amy,
Sick for 30 weeks! Ugh! Poor thing. I hope you're feeling better now, you're going to be at your, um, largest, during the hot summer months. I hope this kid appreciates all this :) .

I used to use an oral rinse prescribed by my vet for my felv kitties' gums. I would water it down and use a Q-tip to very gently swab a quarter of their mouth at a time along the gum line. It doesn't taste bad and I'm not sure how much it helped, but it did keep their mouths cleaner at least. The swabbing probably helped with tarter build up too. I was always concerned that actual brushing might be too harsh on their sensitive gums.

I have no idea why one of your cats should have higher calcium levels. When you say, "slightly elevated", was it still within the normal range? Do they all eat the same diet? I've heard of high calcium in CRF kitties, but if there are no other indications, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would suspect that this was a one time only thing, if you're concerned you might talk to your vet about a diet change and then retest later. That's very cute that this kitty is your labor coach. It sounds like you have such a wonderful relationship with your furkids.

Lastly, I'd tell whoever is "flipping out" about your "babies" being around your baby, to please leave you alone. They are upsetting the mother-to-be! Felv is not contagious to humans, period. The fear of parasites is also ridiculous. It sounds like your cats are better cared for than most human children. Why don't you ask these concerned people to check their kids for lice? It sounds like your cats are doing wonderfully well, they aren't sick, they are immune compromised, there is a difference. Even if they were to become symptomatic, the only problem that would pose to you is the added work of caring for them and the baby at the same time. All those of us that cherish our furkids know that is a labor of love and not a burden at all. Give those folks a raspberry from me and your kitties a head butt.
You're going to be such a great mom!
Hugs to you,
Nina