Michelle,
The only thing that I noticed about Inky was that it kept him from straining so much...He always would strain like he was constipated then it would shoot out all loose...so I don't know if the pred is what helped the loose stool or the oat bran..I think the most that I gave him was 10mg daily for several weeks then worked our way down..He was on the thyroid meds and I stopped them all together as he does have hyperT, but I think we were giving him too much cause he was losing all his hair in big clumps...which happens with hypoT.  He had the ringworm so I had to stop the pred for awhile..but now I give him 2.5 or 1.25 every few days...I alternate it like you guys do..I also think the med metro ( something or other) stopped his loose stool...You mentioned that you were giving Lucy this and i really think that is what helped Inky the most..or maybe the combination of them...I don't remember if I told you..Inky is Felv negative..He is just very old...He will be 20 in August...His mother was my first and only lymphoma kitty...sorta like what you mentioned about the biopsy of the intestines...that is what she had...They opened her up and closed her right back up cause there wasn't anything they could do...So we did chemo for 5 months..and she lived 4 more months after we stopped the chemo..she did great until the last month..I guess you know how that is...Forgot to mention that she had a feeding tube in place the rest of her life, too...the tube coming straight out her side...made it easy to give meds and get food into her when she wouldn't eat...They told me that they usually only leave these for about 3 months..but she handled it so well they left it...she even got to where she would clean it..They put it in when they  did the surgery.
I am now mixing chicken broth in several of Inky's meals as he likes to drink it so I buy the low sodium kind..
I hope Lucy is doing better today..
Kerry and Bandy