last summer, when i had 28 kittens in the house (yeah, i know--what WAS i thinking....), i had a couple of orphans who weren't thriving, and whom i didn't think would make it... as i'm of the large, economy-sized human type, i worried about rolling over on them, too, but also couldn't bear the thought that they might have to cross the bridge without someone nearby. like grayson, these were TEENY, TINY babies, only days old--with one, i wrapped her in a small towel, and placed her in a little wicker basket next to me--she wasn't moving much on her own, so i knew she wasn't too likely to find her way out of the basket. (i even have a photo of her someplace in it.) for another one, who was a bit more active, but just as small, i had this silly 4" x 6" x 8" screened-in 'bug trap" with a door on one end.... that's where peanut slept at night, next to me but safe.... sigh. neither of these little ones made it, tho the third frail baby, born with a deformed rear leg, is now a big strapping 14-month-old... (who says there is NOTHING wrong with his back leg at all, thankyouverymuch, it just happens to work a bit differently than his other three.... there's no hip socket on that leg, just a rudimentary ball, and that knee is on, essentially, upside down and backwards.... he was also the ONLY one of his litter of five to live, so there's just no logic at all to kitten survival.... mommy barb, of our list, is his honorary fairy godmother, and has his photos as her wallpaper!)

we just need to love them the best ways we can...