I can't remember if this tax credit is good or not for
room air conditioners (I know it is for big central
units), but for 2006 taxes, there is a credit for
using energy efficient models.  We had to put a new
unit in this summer, and are fixing to go tankless b/c
our water heater is going out, and both will bring us
a credit for next tax season.  Ask your tax prof. or
look online at irs.gov if you're interested.

:)
Wendy