Oh Leslie, you say it so well!  They are a never-ending source of amazement and love.  Watching youngsters learn about their world is wonderful and having a creature love you SOOOOOOOOOO much..... it's humbling and makes me feel very grateful to be able to appreciate it.

Leslie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thank you all so much for your support and kind words.  I am doing better with the loss of this sweet one.  I'll let you know what happens with getting another, I'm just letting this work itself out right now, not trying to force anything.  It's you all who are amazing, being able to give and give, I need to move a little more slowly than most, I think.  I am learning so much from you all right now.

Yes, Tonya, this was Powder.  I've asked for an update on her littermate, Trixie - who it turns out wasn't adopted, but was removed from the available adoptee list because of a URI.  I'm getting the update on her today from her foster mom, who was helping her back on her feet.  It doesn't sound like she had the problems that Azrael had, but then it also doesn't seem like Az had a URI in retrospect.  It would hearten me greatly if Trixie could pull through to healthy again.

In fairness to Satch (who, Nina, is just a little confused as to why I was guarding the bathroom and taking plates of tuna and baby food in there for a few days if I wasn't hiding anything - the two of them never met), he is the one that teaches me to enjoy every moment of every day.  You never know when that same spot on the carpet might turn into food, so run to it, sniff it, lick it with gusto; each time the girl comes back from out of sight, rejoice!, you may be about to get rubbed, or fed, or she may release the crazy red lightbug.  When a drawer is opened, hope, hope, hope with all of your heart that there is something to chase ready to pop out.  When someone else is eating, don't lose heart! - something could drop from the plate.  When your people are in sight, be happy, all is well with the world.  When they are out of sight, that's okay too (see when the girl returns).  And when you close your eyes to sleep, be content, for when you open them again, be it in a moment, or an hour, glorious things will await you to greet, eat, bite, chase, or ponder.

Azrael - - she taught me grace.  She taught me the selflessness of giving comfort to another while you are the one that they grieve for.  She taught me that the unknown is often much less fearful than the known.  She taught me...that if presented with the situation that you most fear, that your spirit will not break, and you will not be alone (or she led me to you who taught me that also).  She reconfirmed that the world gives you what you need when you need it.

Okay, enough, no tears at work.  They are amazing creatures, leuk positive, leuk negative, furred, feathered, four-legged or two, there is always so much more to learn and remember what we'd once known but forgotten.

Hugs to you all and whatever form of critter sleeps next to you at night and brings you comfort in the present or in memory.

Leslie

"My cat the clown: paying no mind to whom he should impress. Merely living his life, doing what pleases him, and making me smile."
- Anonymous