Kerry,
   What are Inky's BUN and creatinine values, these are the two main ones associated with Kidney problems"

Fred gets daily fluids now, 100MLs a day, I have to bribe him with chicken or tuna.  His creatinine went from 2.6 to 4.2 in three weeks, his BUN actually got a little better from 46 to 44 getting no fluids, so my vet suggested 75MLs a every other day but we talked and I asked her if it wouldn't be better for him to get fluids everyday since he got so much worse so quickly.  She said yes but since he was NOT good about getting them she tried to make it easy for me, but he will get what he needs.  The creatinine is the most important to determine the loss of function.

He has been pretty good, the last couple days he has grumbled a bit but he is getting his fluids and I think he is putting some weight back on.  I think we redo bloodwork in about a month or so, I hope his creatinine went down a little.  His anemia is OK, he was 24% last time we checked, he had a dental right before and IV fluids so we weren't sure how accurate it was, it was 30% before the dental, he isn't acting anemic so I'm not too worried about that.

I just wanted to impress how important fluids are for a cat with kidney problems, I asked my vet specifically about it because there is a person on the CRF list that keeps saying fluids are only to hyrdate the cat, this is NOT true and I knew my vet had told me that.  Yes they do hyrdate the cat BUT they also help the part of the kidney that is still functioning to flush the kidneys thereby helping rid the body of toxins and keeping the healthy functioning part of the the kidney functioning for as long as possible.  CRF is a terminal disease process but there are things you can do to delay the inevitable and fluids are a very big part of it.  My vet told me the kidney are made up of tubularies (sp?) and when there is a kidney problem the tubularies start scarring and closing up with scar tissue.  Fluids help keep the healthy un-scarred tubularies open and working longer so fluids are important.  Not the most scientific explanation but basically what my vet described as I understood it anyway.  Also getting Inky to drink as much as possible is good also.  Wet food if he will eat it is better than dry and any juice you can get him to drink is good.  I will bring food to Fred when he is in another room and try and get him to eat a little, I even add water to the wet food.

I hope Inky starts feeling better soon.  Lots of prayers and healthy positive thoughts coming for Inky.
--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com