My understanding about the reasoning behind the pulse method protocol, (7 days on 7 days off), is because the oral interferon, (Interferon Alpha), is actually a human interferon, (derived from human dna, rather than feline). After extended use, the cats develop an immunity to it and it is no longer effective. The feline interferon, (Interferon Omega), can only be given by subq injections. It's expensive and difficult to get because it has not been approved for use by the US FDA, but it is supposed that the same concerns about it losing it's effectiveness don't apply.

When I had pos kitties on Interferon A, I would give it to them whenever they were presenting with symptoms. Upping the dose according to how they were feeling, (the usual recommended dose is 1 cc daily). Did you see my latest post about Interferon and Spencer this morning?

As far as mixing... I am reluctantly conducting an experiment here to test my trust in the difficulty of transmitting felv to healthy cats. Spencer has been mixed since he arrived here about 7 mos ago. Since he's been sick, I haven't confined him, (mostly because it stresses him out more than most cats). I've been putting food in front of him every few hours and he's doing that thing that so many sickly cats do... picking up pieces of food and spitting them back out again. I've been trying to pick up any food, but I don't want to take it away from Spence before I'm absolutely sure he won't get any more down. I've caught other kitties eating from his dishes, they're all sharing water dishes and litterboxes. If after this, no one becomes pos, then I'll be able to feel even more confident that it's not easily transmitted through causal contact. If anyone else in my house turns up pos after this, I won't have to worry about stressing out over my life anymore. Right after I write to you people about it, I'll be executing a murder/suicide pact with my entire household. I haven't decided if I should include Bruce in that pact yet. Nina

Tad Burnett wrote:

Hi Leslie
 Somebody correct me if I am wrong here...
Interferon is an immune system booster...
The problem is that if you use it too much
the immune system can become totally dependent on it...
Most vets agree that 7 days on and 7 days off is the best
compromise...
It is diluted in water and tastes just like water...
Best given orally by syringe and usually not a problem to
give to tame cats.. Others mix it with canned food...

Some people have found that it work with neg. cats
with URI that won't go away...
If it were me I would give it right away to both
kites until any sign of a bug is present and many
people believe any pos kitties should stay on it
all the time.. Its not very expensive and easy to
give so why not....
Tad

Leslie wrote:

Hello,
I've decided to adopt the other FeLV+ kitten that was just given the green light from her URI from her foster mom - after a month's recuperation. I called today to let the humane society know and I find that they've already put her back out in the adoption room (though they are all separated by cages) so she's been exposed to any airborne URI's again. Grr. They are a wonderful organization and fabulous for listing both FeLV and FIV cats, but they told me that she'd stay in foster care until I could pick her up! This was going to work out great, because Satch is still getting over his cough. I didn't want to introduce another until he was 100% absolutely over the cough - which I was estimating worst case to be two weeks from now - and now since the kitten has again been exposed, he'd be exposed to something new if I brought her home. The longer that I wait to get her, the odds of her getting another cold go up, but the if I push bringing her home, then Satch will be exposed to something before he's completely better, which I'm not going to do. I've called the vet to see if Satch is more susceptible/still contagious as long as he's coughing, though I know what they'll say. Realistically, in my three room apartment, to keep someone cooped up in the bathroom as quarantine isn't that great. A few days to a week okay, but a it's no infirmary if the kitten does need to get over another URI before being introduced. And as I learned from bringing the last one home, it's also no guarantee that Satch won't get the cold anyway. Grr. Sorry to vent! This isn't even why I started to write you! My questions are about Interferon. I'm being optimistic that this can all work out and that the kitten will come home to me and will be healthy enough to bring out into the open and then we can address the leukemia. My vet is open to treating her with Interferon, but what can I expect? Is it an injection? How often to they get it and over how long? Are there any side effects that you've noticed. See, for once that would have been a short post. ;) Thank you, Leslie