Oh Tad...  I remember when I lost my Jazzy, every marginally successful post I read that sounded like her condition, I'd cringe over.  I was happy that other people's cats were responding favorably to treatment, but I just felt so bad that I hadn't tried more, or something else, or anything else.  Once they're gone, it's so darn final.  You keep thinking, if only I'd tried this, or what if that...  I got through that time by consoling myself with the fact that she was no longer suffering, that I'd at least saved her from the possibility of a difficult crossing.  It was even harder for me because I felt like such a chicken.  I was so scared of putting my baby, (you remember she was one of the original bottle babies), through any additional pain, that I pts on the vet's strong recommendation.  (Not my Internist, a GP vet that I no longer use).  I finally took pity on myself and realized I was continuing to fret over her when it was no longer in my power to change anything.  She no longer needed my protection, she was safe in the arms of the Angels.  Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I think I understand how you feel about this.  I think we probably all do.

Go cuddle one of your babies, (or two, or three) and remember all the good you do.  Remember the trust that Leo and all the others put in you.  They're not wrong.  You are their savior.
Blessings and love to you,
Nina

Tad Burnett wrote:

<>Did somebody mention frustrated ???
I told her today of Spencer and very gently told her I wish we had
at least tried something and she agreed...
Anyway Nina's vet sounds a bit like mine in that she will go along
with what we want if we insist and it sure looks to me that the dex
is working for Spencer and now I wish that I had insisted on a heavier
dose... Leo was about the same size as Spencer.. He was a bag of
bones when I 1st got him and weighed 9.5 pounds then...
He had gotten up to over 13 pounds.. I was worried that he was getting
too heavy 6 months ago and then when we went to the vet this last
time he had dropped to 10 pounds.. I didn't catch it for a while
because he was going to his bowl and just tasting for a while
but not getting much and I have several younger pigs that clean
up any leftovers...
Tad

Nina wrote:

Damn Belinda, my head is spinning!  No, she's not an oncologist, she's an internist.  I just don't know what to think.  Thanks for the link, I'll get to it as soon as I stop putting out fires around here, probably around 2am.  I tell you, I'm tired!

Belinda wrote:

     Nina,
   That information is not accurate, this is not what I've heard from people who use it, I think you should ask her to consult with an oncologist, what is her experience with cancer, is she oncologist??   Elspar is used in several treatment protocols, it is also used as a rescue drug but there are actual cancer treatment protocols that use Elspar as one of the chemo drugs.  Please read this page carefully, there are several protocols here that include Elspar used by many oncologists that people in the feline lymphoma group use.  This whole website has a lot of valuable information and links to some very well known, highly recommended oncologists.

http://felinelymphomacaregivers.org/docs/ChemoProtocols.html

Its effects lasts for approx 3 days and is used to get patients into remission quickly, but does not "hold". She said even if I could afford it, it can't be given indefinitely because it's a "foreign protein" and Spencer would develop an allergic reaction to it with continued use.