Hi Sally,

My thought is that you might first get your group vaccinated, that way the negatives will have some protection against the disease.  Although the vaccine is not 100% effective, it's better than no protection.  Is there a nearby low-cost clinic available?  That is what we did.  We saved $36 by taking our three cats to a clinic for their FeLV shots rather than our regular vet.  Then, we waited a few weeks before mixing them.  One thing I've learned from this group is that FeLV isn't passed as easily as once thought, so I'm praying maybe your others won't contract it.

Also, we are giving Pippin 500 mg L-Lysine per day and it's costs about $7 for 100 capsules.  We give her the contents of one capsule mixed in with her evening wet food.  I'm not knowledgeable about the other drugs; hopefully some of the more experienced members of the list can comment.

You and your babies are in my thoughts,

Gina

Sally Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gina,

Thanks for the information about URI. If my brain was working right now I
probably would have figured that out. As it turns out all the cats that had
the Upper respiratory infection have tested positive. I guess their immune
systems were fighting too much. Lily had a sneeze or two but never a full
blown cold.

I just read the abstract regarding using low dose interferon for treatment
of FIV and possibly FeLV. I know this was a small study group. Does anyone
here have experience with this sort of treatment?

More importantly Should all the cats get this drug? The other cats may be
already fighting off the virus. I am very limited in funds. And have not
yet figured out how I am going to handle the expense of treating and
vaccinating the cats. I am still surprised the kitten is testing negative
she is probably the most exposed cat to Lionel . They were best buddies.
Although he is the only cat testing positive for FIV he may not have been
the source of the FeLV. Tiny was the first with the URI. I know I will
never know where it originated.

OK next question. I could not get appointments for the cats until late
November. I will probably be able to get them into the vet as a walk-in
sooner. With 9 cats I can't take them all . Should I take the FeLV cats
first or get the negative cats to get vaccinated? The cats are separated.
For the most part the others are staying outside. Tiny and junior are in my
bed room. Mainly to keep Tiny from darting outside which he already did
yesterday. I managed to catch him right away, but he will get smart about
that and I may not be so lucky the next time.

The only medicine I have now is amoxycillin which is being used to treat
whatever infection caused Junior's temperature to go so high. I also have
Pumpkin's
Baytril, so I am giving that to Tiny for his bite wound. I know it is
overkill, but many years ago I lost a cat from a bite wound. The vet
advised my dad when he was euthanized he had FeLV. He was 12 yrs old and I
remember even after antibiotics his wound never healed. He stayed with me
until the end. I am sure he had renal failure.

I may have more questions. I need to check out the archives as well. Thanks
for the help.

Sally