Leslie:

I think Nina has a good suggestion regarding calling
the phone.  You can also have people text message your
phone as well.  The person may read the text messages
since this does not require speaking into the phone.
I recent lost my cell phone at Jewel Grocery Store
when grocery shopping.  Since I use my cell phone for
rescue and the rescue group business, I get alot of
phone calls.  Well after a short period of time, one
of my friends call my direct home number and told me
that my cell phone was at Jewel.  I did not even
notice that I had lost the cell phone.  I just thought
that it was being a quiet night??  You see my cell
phone ringer for caller I.D. is a recording of six 10
day old baby kittens screaming to be feed.  So say the
least, Jewel was delighted to hear from me and that I
was coming to get the phone.  The phone was driving
them crazy and Jewel's customer service text message
my friend that I had lost my phone.  That night was
busy with phone calls that was screaming baby kittens
to be feed!

So maybe the person that took the car may get curious
about all the phone calls and text messages.  Maybe
the person will try to read the text messages and see
they are about the cats.  I know it is a long shot but
it happen to me!

Precious Pets

P. S. Another suggestion would be to offer a reward
for their safe return in the text messages.