marta, FIP is currently considered to be a mutated corona virus--so
the corona virus is contagious (they estimate something like 80-90% of
cats in a multi-cat environment will have been exposed to it and show
a high titre--roughly the same percentage of humans will show a titre,
too, as the corona virii are such common causes of uris in many
species...). the mutation, however, is neither predictable nor
preventable.

there seems to be strong evidence of a genetic predisposition for
mutation to occur.

at the sanctuary, we saw FIP develop in a number of panleuk survivors
as well, but it happened in family groups, so the genetic
predisposition might have been more at fault than the panleuk...

one of the reasons, i believe, that FIP was so named was that it would
occur in catteries and other groups of cats, and at that point it was
easiest to assume it was "infectious." realizing the genetic
component, it makes sense that in a group of related kitties, that
genetic predisposition would manifest itself at a higher rate than in
unrelated cats.

if FIP were truly contagious in and of itself, there would be no
sanctuaries or long-term-stay rescues/shelters around--by the time wet
FIP is suspected, the cat is usually on its last paws already, and
therefore, all cats in such situations would have caught it and gone
to the bridge. most folks who have gone through the heartache of FIP
in one of their furkids have NOT lost any others, unless they were
related.... (and the more kitties you have, the higher the likelihood
that you might have one or more families represented who have the
genetic predisposition...)

MC