Beth,
Thank you for this explanation.  I didn't have a  good understanding of FIP and this has been very helpful.

elizabeth

In a message dated 11/8/2006 8:48:16 A.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hi Kayte,
I'll try to give a quick run down on FIP as I understand it.  It begins with something called Feline Corona Virus (FCoV).  This is a very contagious but normally harmless virus that many cats have.  It is estimated that 85% or more of shelter cats and cattery cats have it.  It lives in the intestines and normally causes no problems.  Kitties that live by themselves or with just one or two others are likely to eventually clear this virus from their systems.  In larger groups, as one cat clears it, another is in an active shedding phase and reinfecting the others, so it is much harder to eliminate.  Not a big deal, as it is pretty much causes no symptoms in this form.  The problem occurs when the virus mutates into FIP in certain individual cats.  Nobody knows why this mutation takes place.  There is speculation that stress and/or genetic susceptibility may play a role.  Cheetahs have a very narrow gene pool and are highly susceptible to FIP.  Overall, maybe about 5% (give or take) of FCoV infected cats go on to develop FIP.  The mutation itself is not contagious, it must occur spontaneously within each cat.  Once it does, the virus is able to move out of the gut.  It attaches itself to macrophages and moves into the rest of the body, causing the cats immune system to over-react and attack itself, punching tiny holes through blood vessels and creating lesions on organs.  Untreated, it is fatal.  There is a small Japanese study which seemed to cure some cats with Feline Omega Interferon.  One of the leading researchers (Dr. Addie) also stated that she had I think a 25-30% cure rate with FOI.  Some recent larger studies failed to show any life-saving benefit to FOI treatment, although I think they did see an initial lessening of the viral load.  More research is needed.   FIP is very difficult to diagnose (necropsy is the only sure bet), some treatable diseases can cause similar symptoms.  Cornell University and Dr. Addie both have websites with much more information.  If Crackers is your only kitty and has no contact with other cats, your chances of ever needing to know any of this are about 0.  And even if you eventually decide to adopt another from the shelter, the odds are in your favor that it will never be a problem.

Well, so much for being quick, this is a bit of a book!
Take care,
Beth